Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ... oi, oi, oi! It's our nation's birthday today!

Sitting on the verandah ... rain drumming on the corrugated iron roof ...

....  Wallabies munching on the grass while sheltering from the rain ....



... Kookaburra sitting in an old gum tree, a little damp and disgruntled ....



It's a rainy Australia Day here in north-eastern Oz ... and these words from Dorothea Mackeller's famous poem come to mind:

Core of my heart, my country!                                
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us,
We see the cattle die -
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.


A opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

4 comments:

  1. Love the pics! You live in a beautiful place :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kyna ... yes I'm lucky enough to be living out in amongst the bushland here and it certainly does have it's charms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the music. What is it called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn. The music on this blog includes pieces by the pianist Yiruma. The pieces are 'Moonlight' and 'A Walk In The Forest'.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and will endeavour to reply to all. All comments are moderated, so spam will be fried.

Related Posts with Thumbnails