Monday, March 11, 2013

Changes ... The Year In Photographs ... March 11, 2013

Look what I've spotted on an Oleander leaf.  I haven't seen a chrysalis for years and years.


I'm as excited as a small child!  I'm also remembering the many, many chrysalises I saw as a child in amongst the stand of Oleanders that used to grow on the footpath outside my childhood home.  They were wondrous sights to me then ... and now!


I'm so hoping that it's the chrysalis of the Common Crow or Oleander Butterfly, as I bought a couple of Oleanders for the sole purpose of attracting these butterflies.

The problem is that I understood the Common Crow chrysalis to be silver-coloured, and this doesn't look all that silver to me!


The caterpillar I saw on munching on the leaves last week sure did look like the larvae of the Common Crow Butterfly though.  So I'm waiting patiently now, hoping that I get to see the butterfly that emerges from this brilliant chrysalis.

16 comments:

  1. This caterpillar looks amazing. There aren't such in Poland. Ours are obviously smaller :)

    Maybe you could try to take a picture of a butterfly when it'll emerge from a chrysalis? That would be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try my best to get a shot of the butterfly, Dewberry. I'm hoping it doesn't emerge until I'm at home!!

      Delete
  2. Interesting looking spiny caterpillar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just the most amazing thing? I agree with you, LT.

      Delete
  3. It is magical and I miss doing this each year with the children. Today we are doing a worm lesson on composting with a pre-k class where I volunteer.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the little Pre-K's enjoyed the worm lesson, Eileen. There's just nothing more wonderful to little ones than the slimy worm!

      Delete
  4. How neat Bernie. Fingers crossed that it is the one you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so hope it is, Jean. Although any butterfly will do!!!

      Delete
  5. That's one very tropical looking caterpillar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love the spines and the colours, Alex? Such a great looking critter.

      Delete
  6. Maddie has decided that the "Hungery Caterpillar " lives in your garden! How exciting I hope you get to see the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, the caterpillar didn't seem too keen to looking around for pickles or ice cream, but went straight for the nice green leaves, lol! Fingers crossed I get to see the lovely butterfly emerging.

      Delete
  7. Oh how exciting - isn't it amazing that the butterflies will find the exact plant that they need? awesome! I look forward to photos. I don't know if they are all the same but my butterflies always hatched just before dawn so I can see a few early mornings for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip-off, AA! I'll have to make a super human effort to get up before the sun now!!

      Delete
  8. I hope you get a photo of the butterfly when it emerges, that would be very interesting, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'm going to need some luck for that, Helene.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and will endeavour to reply to all. All comments are moderated, so spam will be fried.

Related Posts with Thumbnails